About 2,500 seals have been found dead on the Caspian Sea coast in southern Russia, officials said Sunday. Authorities in the Russian province of Dagestan said it was unclear why the mass die-off happened but that it was likely due to natural causes. Regional officials initially reported Saturday that 700 dead seals were found on the coast, but the Dagestan division of the Russian Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment later raised the figure to about 2,500. Zaur Gapizov, head of the Caspian Environmental Protection Center, said in a statement that the seals likely died a couple of weeks ago. He added that there was no sign that they were killed or caught in fishing nets. Experts of the Federal Fisheries Agency and prosecutors inspected the coastline and collected data for laboratory research, which didn't immediately spot any pollutants. Several previous incidents of mass seal deaths were attributed to natural causes. Kazakhstan, which has a long Caspian coastline, reported at least three such incidents this year. Data about the number of seals in the Caspian vary widely. The fisheries agency has said the overall number of Caspian seals is 270,000-300,000, while the Caspian Environmental Protection Center put the number at… Read full this story
- King in the North: Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 vs. Ford F-150 Raptor vs. Ram 2500 Power Wagon
- Rep. Ilhan Omar on hit list compiled by ‘domestic terrorist’ in Coast Guard, fed says
- 2500 Miles in a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
- Divers swim with giant great white shark off Oahu’s coast
- Fishing report for week of Jan. 16-22
- Mustang Magic
- Another Batch Of Most-Asked Tech Questions
- Inside The No. 1 Qualifier
- Football quotes of 2018: Carlos Carvalhal, Jose Mourinho, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and more...
- Arsenal's route to the Europa League Final route
About 2,500 Dead Seals Found on Russia's Caspian Coast have 282 words, post on www.news18.com at December 5, 2022. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.