A man holds ballots in his hand as he walks inside a polling station during the snap election in Rome, Italy on Sunday, Sept 25, 2022. (Photo by Stoyan Nenov/Reuters) – A + A ROME (Sept 25): Italians were voting on Sunday in an election that is forecast to return the country’s most right-wing government since World War Two and pave the way for Giorgia Meloni to become its first woman prime minister. A right-wing alliance led by Meloni’s Brothers of Italy party appeared set for a clear victory when the last opinion polls were published two weeks ago. But with a polls blackout in force in the two weeks before the election, there is still scope for a surprise. Polls opened at 7 a.m. (0500 GMT) and voting will continue until 11 p.m. (2100 GMT), when exit polls will be published. However, the complex calculations required by a hybrid proportional/first-past-the-post electoral law mean it may be many hours before the composition of a new slimmed-down parliament is known. “Long live democracy,” said Matteo Salvini, leader of the League party, one of Meloni’s main allies, as he voted in Milan on Sunday morning. Meloni would be the obvious candidate for… Read full this story
- Italy Refuses to Recognize Venezuelan Constituent Assembly – Prime Minister
- Who is Sajid Javid? Home Secretary who could become the next Prime Minister after Theresa May steps down
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has quit amid Brexit drama. Who will replace her?
- The Accidental Prime Minister movie review: Anupam Kher delivers an appalling performance. 1 star
- UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Supports Johnson’s Bid for Prime Minister
- 'Sales girl' shot at Finland Prime Minister Sanna Marin almost costs Estonia's Interior Minister Mart Helme his job
- 'Christmas at Chequers is cancelled': The Prime Minister's Remain-backing sister Rachel Johnson jokes about her arguments with Boris Johnson on Have I Got News For You
- Cuba to name first prime minister in 40 years
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison pulls pin on Hawaii family holiday, but the damage is already done
- Gopichand Hinduja says 'sensible' Ed Miliband not a worry as prime minister
Meloni tipped to be prime minister as Italians vote have 344 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at September 26, 2022. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.