Democratic U.S. Senate Candidate Gary Chambers of Louisiana released an ad on Tuesday showing the candidate smoking marijuana while promoting a pathway toward legalizing the drug. “I hope this ad works to not only destigmatize the use of marijuana, but also forces a new conversation that creates the pathway to legalize this beneficial drug, and forgive those who were arrested due to outdated ideology,” Chambers said in the ad. Chambers, a progressive activist, finished third in a special election primary race to fill former Congressman Cedric Richmond’s seat last year. He is running to challenge Republican Senator John Kennedy. Chambers, who is Black, opens the advertisement , titled “37 seconds,” with an image of him lighting a blunt and smoking it. “Every 37 seconds someone is arrested for possession of marijuana,” Chambers said in the video. “Black people are four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana laws than white people,” Chambers said. “States waste $3.7 billion enforcing marijuana laws every year. Most of the people police are arresting aren’t dealers, but rather people with small amounts of pot, just like me.” Eighteen states and Washington, D.C. have legalized small amounts of marijuana for recreational use, according to the… Read full this story
- Power and Problems With Advertising - Anti-McCain Campaign Ads Do a Disservice to Seniors
- Political Election Campaign Finance Contribution Limits in the 2008 Presidential Election
- Warren campaign challenges Facebook policy with ‘false’ Zuckerberg ad
- New First Pooch is Arriving Soon
- What It Means That a Black Woman Is Leading Julián Castro’s Campaign for President
- New frontrunner Elizabeth Warren draws fire in Democratic debate
- Kennedy, Clinton and Obama - Young and Different
- Can John McCain Return to Capitol Hill Unscathed?
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: What the Dem frontrunners must do Tuesday
- 'He's the most corrupt president in all our history!' Joe Biden tears into Donald Trump as 12 2020 Democrats take to the stage for primary debate - with field united in slamming president and backing impeachment
U.S. Senate candidate Gary Chambers smokes marijuana in new campaign ad have 321 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at January 18, 2022. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.