T HE MOOD at the international airport in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia's capital, is strikingly upbeat. In recent weeks arriving passengers have been met by smiling dancers and patriotic music. Garlands of flowers and bright yellow carpets adorn the arrivals hall. Banners proclaim the "Great Ethiopian Homecoming", a state-sponsored effort to convince Ethiopians living abroad to come home for the holidays (Ethiopians celebrated Christmas on January 7th). Echoing John Lennon, the state's Christmas greetings come with an implied message: war is over. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS Android . Ethiopia's civil war has certainly cooled down. In late 2021 rebels from the northern region of Tigray were on the brink of storming the capital and toppling the government of Abiy Ahmed, the prime minister. Abiy declared a state of emergency and called on residents to fight. Embassies evacuated staff and urged their citizens to leave. But in a matter of weeks the Ethiopian army pushed the rebels into retreat. Tigray's ruling party, the Tigrayan People's Liberation Front ( TPLF ), asked for a ceasefire. Though fighting continues on several fronts, Abiy has declared victory. Before the war Abiy was known as a peacemaker. He won a Nobel prize in… Read full this story
- Civilian deaths in Afghanistan reached 9-year peak in 2018
- Ukraine military attacks pro-Russia rebels near Slavyansk
- Ukraine: Top rebel leader Alexander Zakharchenko killed in Donetsk blast
- Eastern Ghouta: Despite bomb hail, Tariq resists evacuation
- We've avoided a Libyan Srebrenica, so when is the bombing going to stop?
- Saudi-led coalition bombs air base in Yemen’s capital
- US Coalition Bombs Syrian Army, Enhances Terrorists in Palmyra - Russian MoD
- The Turkish Kurds who want peace – but not at any price
- Will South Sudan finally be able to clinch lasting peace in 100 days?
- Israel Buying Drones Armed With Machine Guns for Use in 'Crowded Civilian Areas'
Ethiopia promises peace but keeps bombing rebels and civilians have 309 words, post on www.economist.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.