Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin The U.S. Air Force says it wants a more realistic, cost effective way to transition advanced student pilots to the 5th generation strike fighter aircraft it envisions filling its fleet with. It's looking at modified trainer-based platforms to meet that goal but what if a ready-made option already in exists in the form of Sweden's oft-shunned Gripen? Back in October, the USAF issued a request for information (RFI) for an "advanced tactical trainer" (ATT). It would provide initial tactical training for newly graduated pilots moving from advanced flight training to their operational units in line with the Air Force's Reforge concept. The concept would require a more modern "fighter-like" training aircraft than the existing, aged T-38. The Navy has a similar desire for "Tactical Surrogate Aircraft". The notional ATT would be operated by Air Combat Command (ACC) units and be acquired with use as an aggressor or "Red Air" aircraft in mind. It would serve as surrogate aircraft for frontline fighters, also providing cheaper follow-on or refresher training for experienced pilots than putting them in the cockpits of high flying-hour cost F-35s, F-15EX' or future NGAD systems. Boeing BA has suggested that its T-7A… Read full this story
- 6th-gen stealth fighter likely to include lasers, AI and drone control
- Truck driver at the centre of nightmare crash that left four hero cops dead says he was trying to 'avoid a WITCH' when he swerved across a freeway and ploughed into them in the emergency lane
- Total national lockdown by the end of January is inevitable, says SAGE expert as 20million are plunged into Tier 4 and Boris pins everything on Oxford vaccine after 981 die in worst daily death toll since April
- Rep.-elect Madison Cawthorn, 25, wants to create 'new Republican Party' that inspires young people
- Pope Francis endorses same-sex civil unions, saying: 'Homosexuals are children of God and have the right to be in a family'
- The King of Fighters 14 review
- Kevin McBride details win over Mike Tyson and how he beat legendary fighter
- Larry Rendall Brock Jr., Senate Rioter in Tactical Gear, Says He Regrets Holding Zip Ties
- Not ditching Tejas for any other fighter jet, says Nirmala Sitharaman
- Want to save a mortgage deposit? Here's how to do it
What If The Advanced Tactical Trainer The USAF Says It Wants Already Exists As A Fighter? have 386 words, post on www.forbes.com at December 14, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.