US Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell is pleased about the Democratic effort to impeach outgoing President Donald Trump, believing it will make it easier to purge him from the party, The New York Times reported on Tuesday. McConnell told associates that he believes Trump committed impeachable offenses, sources close to him told the US newspaper. Trump faces a second impeachment in the US House of Representatives over his alleged role in inciting his supporters to storm the Capitol building last week in a mob attack to overturn the results of the presidential election. The violence by pro-Trump groups on January 6 left five people dead and sent lawmakers gathered to certify the election results into hiding. Trump has refused to take responsibility for encouraging his supporters and said his remarks at a rally preceding the storming of the building were “totally appropriate.” House Republicans divided Multiple House Republicans have publicly said that they intend to vote in favor of the impeachment. US Representative John Katko on Tuesday became the first Republican House member to join Democrats in their bid to impeach the president. “It cannot be ignored that President Trump encouraged this insurrection — both on social media ahead of January… Read full this story
- Who is Roberto Escobar? Pablo’s brother who launched GoFundMe for Donald Trump’s impeachment
- US government shutdown ends for 3 weeks after Donald Trump signs bill
- Donald Trump ends US government shutdown for 3 weeks
- Donald Trump visits US-Mexico border to boost case for wall
- Donald Trump prepared for US shutdown to last 'for years'
- Donald Trump tells spy chiefs: 'Go back to school' over Iran threat
- Opinion: Calling a national emergency would be the most selfish thing Donald Trump has ever done
- Opinion: Two more years of Donald Trump's anti-immigration tactics will create devastation
- Donald Trump declares victory over ISIS in Syria
- A look back at Donald Trump’s tumultuous second year in office
US Senate's Mitch McConnell believes Donald Trump committed impeachable offenses — report have 325 words, post on www.dw.com at December 1, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.