T O UNDERSTAND how much technology behemoths' standing in Washington, DC , has changed in the past four years, ask Barry Lynn, founder of the Open Markets Institute, an anti-monopoly group. In 2017 he was allegedly kicked out of the New America Foundation, a think-tank that hosted his team, for being too critical of big tech. At the time, Mr Lynn's work decrying "platform monopolists" and advocating for breaking up tech giants was provocative but niche. He was like a protester with a megaphone, loud but mostly tuned out. Today, when Joe Biden talks about corporate "concentration", he sounds a lot like Mr Lynn, and he has named Mr Lynn's friends to top posts. Lina Khan, who worked at the Open Markets Institute for seven years, now chairs the Federal Trade Commission ( FTC ), an agency charged with protecting consumer privacy and enforcing antitrust law. Tim Wu, formerly on Mr Lynn's advisory board, has a post advising the White House on competition and technology policy. Operating out of a WeWork space a short walk from the White House, Mr Lynn is part of the in-crowd. "For an itty-bitty think-tank, we have a lot of our people in the administration,"… Read full this story
- Exclusive — Sen. Bill Hagerty: ‘China Is Singing All the Way to the Bank’ Thanks to Joe Biden’s Policies
- Read Apple CEO Tim Cook’s letter thanking Joe Biden
- Joe Biden Gained 15 Million Twitter Followers Since Winning 2020 election
- Donald Trump's Family Gain Almost 630,000 Twitter Followers After Joe Biden's Inauguration
- Joe Biden slams Facebook, calls Zuckerberg a 'real problem'
- Watch Live: Kevin McCarthy Holds Presser on Joe Biden’s Energy Policies
- Joe Biden Signs Executive Order to Make All Federal Vehicles Electric
- Joe Biden reverses Trump ban on transgender people in military
- All of President-elect Joe Biden’s Cabinet Nominees
- Joe Biden should resist calls to soften the policy toward China
Joe Biden’s tech policy is becoming clearer have 314 words, post on www.economist.com at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.