The Islanders will finally play at home Saturday night when they open UBS Arena against the Flames. It will have been 150 days since their fans saw them in person — Stanley Cup Semifinals Game 6 versus Tampa Bay — and the day the franchise has been waiting for couldn't arrive at a better time. As work continued on the Islanders' new rink, the team faced a 13-game road trip to begin the 2021-22 NHL season. The players didn't need to worry about hotel life the entire time as they were able to return home to get some needed days off through the first six weeks of the schedule. While Saturday will be a new beginning in their 17,250-seat, $1.1 billion arena, the home-ice advantage will take some time to develop. "It really won't be our home rink for a while," said Islanders head coach Barry Trotz. "Calgary will have been in that rink pretty well as long as we have. It's like a neutral-site game for the first month. But we're thrilled that we're getting into a new rink. It's great for the fans and it's great for the franchise." The Islanders held their first practice at UBS Arena… Read full this story
- Capturing Fire Island: Photographer snaps the lingering beauty of the hard-to-reach retreat notorious for its orgies, architecture and celebrity visitors
- Paradise lost: Half of Queensland’s once desirable luxury island resorts now deserted or derelict
- To reach this Canadian island, mail crosses through Maine. Now U.S. agents are opening it.
- 'Roblox Ready Player One' Event: How to Find Copper, Jade & Crystal Keys (Location Clues)
- When does Dancing on Ice 2020 start, who’s in the line-up and and why did Jason Gardiner quit?
- Ferne McCann tries it on with two Love Island stars - and makes risqué knicker confession
- Chris Eubank Jr reveals he turned down Love Island before Tommy Fury signed up
- Mysterious uprising in the Comoros Islands
- Kylie Jenner reveals she's getting a head start on planning her daughter Stormi's birthday party: 'It’s gonna be insane'
- New training program aims to turn Chariot shuttle operators into bus drivers
Islanders ready to open UBS Arena, turn around sluggish start have 365 words, post on nhl.nbcsports.com at November 20, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.