V LADIMIR LENIN believed that a tiny vanguard could, through force of will, harness historical forces to transform how global capitalism works. He was right. However, the revolutionaries have not been bearded Bolsheviks but a few thousand investors, mostly based in Silicon Valley, running less than 2% of the world's institutional assets. In the past five decades, the venture-capital ( VC ) industry has funded enterprising ideas that have gone on to transform global business and the world economy. Seven of the world's ten largest firms were VC -backed. VC money has financed the companies behind search engines, iPhones, electric cars and m RNA vaccines. Now capitalism's dream machine is itself being scaled up and transformed, as an unprecedented $450bn of fresh cash floods into the VC scene . This turbocharging of the venture world brings significant risks, from egomaniacal founders torching cash to pension pots being squandered on overvalued startups. But in the long run it also promises to make the industry more global, to funnel risk capital into a wider range of industries, and to make VC more accessible to ordinary investors. A larger pool of capital chasing a bigger universe of ideas will boost competition, and is… Read full this story
- 5 unique eco-adventures in Tibiao, Antique
- Rocklin quietly ended contract with Quarry Park Adventures’ operator. What’s next for park?
- Rocklin quietly ended its contract with Quarry Park Adventures’ operator. What’s next for park?
- Quarry Park Adventures opens (again) in Rocklin, aiming to put early ‘challenges’ in the past
- Adventurous investors should head for the frontier in Georgia
- Top Amazon experiences for the adventure traveller
- Go on an adventure in the New Year with this fund
- A promising punt for the adventurous
- Feeling adventurous? You should invest in Peru
- Gamble of the week: An adventurous gaming firm
Adventure capitalism have 296 words, post on www.economist.com at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.