Covid cases may have finally peaked in children, according to a raft of statistics that offer hope that herd immunity is taking effect in youngsters. Infections exploded among children in England in the wake of classrooms reopening at the start of September – with up to one in 20 secondary school pupils thought to have been carrying the virus last week. But Department of Health figures now show the number testing positive has fallen in the past week in primary and secondary-aged children. Experts told MailOnline the downturn could signal rising immunity from a combination of vaccination and infections among young people. The vaccine rollout only opened to healthy 12 to 15-year-olds last month but older teens have been getting jabbed since August. Data from the country’s biggest symptom-tracking app – which is watched closely by ministers – also suggested today that cases in children have peaked. But infection rates still remain extremely high – with around 1.5 per cent of youngsters aged 10 to 14 testing positive last week alone. Experts have warned, however, that infections are already starting to spill over into parents, which could eventually kickstart a bigger outbreak this winter. PHE data suggests case rates have finally… Read full this story
- The red sea of virus: Only Luton, Wolverhampton, and Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly saw Covid-19 infection rates drop last week, Public Health England surveillance report reveals
- Covid cases and ‘in effect’ deaths are ‘flatlining’ days before second lockdown, Oxford scientist claims
- UK announces 23,254 more Covid cases and 162 deaths - the highest Sunday rise since May 24 but only up 7% since last Sunday
- More proof England is past the worst of the second wave? Test positivity rate DROPS for the first time in almost three months (and it's gone down in EVERY age group)
- Covid cases continue to surge for second consecutive week in Chandigarh
- Wales prepares to come OUT of two-week lockdown as First Minister Mark Drakeford claims infection rates are 'plateauing' in the Principality
- UK daily Covid cases DROP by 11.5 per cent from last Sunday's with 20,572 compared to 23,254 - as deaths ALSO fall by six to 156 in latest evidence against new lockdown
- Barcelona closes its bars and Italy sees record 7,332 new covid cases as schools close across Europe and hospitals approach maximum capacity but has Spain managed to turn the corner?
- US confirms 10 MILLION coronavirus cases as daily infections surged by 60% over the last two weeks and hospitalizations near the July peak of 60,000 - but average deaths hover below 1,000 a day
- Britons flock to beauty spots from the Peak District to Hyde Park on day four of winter lockdown despite wet and cloudy weather – but central London lies deserted with non-essential shops shut for November
EXCLUSIVE: Have Covid cases peaked in children? Infection rates drop in youngsters for FIVE days in a row, official figures show have 437 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 7, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.