Supporters of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro attend the flag-raising ceremony at Alvorada Palace, during the Independence Day celebrations in Brasilia BRASíLIA – Tens of thousands of demonstrators flooded the streets in Brazil Tuesday in a show of support on independence day for President Jair Bolsonaro, who is locked in an all-out political battle with institutions including the Supreme Court. Anti-Bolsonaro protesters also gathered for huge demonstrations in cities across the country, making the annual national day festivities a high-risk event, with just over a year to go to elections that polls currently put the far-right president on track to lose. Bolsonaro, whose popularity is at an all-time low, is seeking to fire up his base and flex his political muscle in the face of a flagging economy, soaring unemployment and inflation, and a series of investigations targeting him and his inner circle. With hardline supporters urging a military intervention to give Bolsonaro unfettered power, there are fears the day’s rallies could turn violent, with echoes of the January 6 attack on the US Capitol in support of former president Donald Trump — to whom Bolsonaro is often compared. “This is a day for the Brazilian people, who will tell us… Read full this story
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus
- Brazil court allows police to access Bolsonaro allies' phone, bank records
- Trump, Putin and Bolsonaro find their populist playbooks are no match for coronavirus
- Coronavirus latest: US cases may hit '100,000 a day'
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tells fans he had lung screening
- Brazil tops 1 million Covid-19 cases. It may pass the US next, becoming the worst-hit country on the planet
- Nurse leader accuses Brazil of sacrificing medics to coronavirus
- Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus
- Coronavirus live updates: California breaks record with more than 9,000 new cases in a day
- Coronavirus: Red Cross slams US and Brazil response
Rallies for and against Bolsonaro on Brazil's national day have 302 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at September 7, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.