RIO DE JANEIRO — Beleaguered by declining poll numbers, a sputtering economy and judicial investigations, President Jair Bolsonaro called on his supporters to rally across the country on Tuesday, Brazil's Independence Day, in a show of force critics fear could be a prelude to a power grab. In recent days, the president has cast this moment as a do-or-die turning point for his political movement. "I have three alternatives in the future: being arrested, getting killed or victory," Mr. Bolsonaro told supporters last week, referring to next year's presidential elections, which polls show he would lose in a landslide if the vote were held today. "You can be sure the first option, imprisonment, will not happen." Many in Brazil see in Mr. Bolsonaro's actions a parallel to President Donald J. Trump's in advance of the 2020 elections, and worry how Brazil, a country with weaker institutions, would weather a similar challenge to electoral institutions or an attack like the Jan. 6 riot in the U.S. capital. A group of more than 150 heads of state, ministers and lawmakers from 26 nations issued a statement on Monday expressing concern that the rallies in Brazil had the potential to turn into an… Read full this story
- A limit to voters' patience: Bloomberg power grab looks worse by the day
- Power grab: Shopping for cheaper electricity
- Louisville pro-immigration rally draws 5,000
- The big power grab: Failing feds, floundering states extend their tentacles
- Brazil's Bolsonaro has a few wins, some missteps in 100 days
- Brazilians Elect Far-Right Extremist Jair Bolsonaro As President
- Environmentalists fear rampant deforestation as Brazil's Bolsonaro eyes new policy
- America's Most Delightfully Absurd Rally Car Is This Nissan Juke
- Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review
- Apple MacBook Pro owners cry foul: '$6 problem costs $600 to fix'
Pro-Bolsonaro Rallies May Be Prelude to Power Grab, Critics Say have 292 words, post on www.nytimes.com at September 7, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.