Hollie Howard discovered Lake Hopatcong while looking out the window of an airplane, en route to Newark Airport five years ago. A search of aerial views of lakes soon revealed that she had been flying over New Jersey's largest freshwater lake. With a little more research, she learned that the lake was about 40 miles west of New York City, where she was living and performing in Broadway shows. Over the next two years, Ms. Howard, a former musical-theater actress who is now the director of sales for a musical production company, spent weekends renting cars and driving out to the lake that straddles Sussex and Morris Counties, to look at houses there. In June 2018, she bought a four-bedroom lakefront home with a dock in the borough of Hopatcong, for $500,000. Since then, she has been transforming the 1890s house — once full of small, wood-paneled rooms — into a place with an open floor plan, with the help of her boyfriend, Ryan Morville, whom she met after moving in. Pa. N.Y. NEW Jersey SUSSEX Hopatcong New York City Hopatcong N.J. 1 mile Jefferson Lake Hopatcong SUSSEX COUNTY Nolan's Point RIVER STYX BR. Morris county BERTRAND I. Mt. Arlington… Read full this story
- Firefighter hospitalised after Lurgan lake rescue
- Cosmeston Lakes is home to new outdoor learning facility
- 'Emmy has not missed life, she has simply skipped this world'
- 53km 'Blueway' breathes new life into River Suir
- Bushy tailed park life for young ones in Terenure
- The life below East Park's lake, its dangers
- Lake Como’s stellar hotel and restaurant openings
- Europe’s best lake breaks
- The £1.8m woodland mansion that comes with its own lake
- Hero student drowns saving brother's life as they swam in lake
Hopatcong, N.J.: ‘We Call It Lake Life’ have 281 words, post on www.nytimes.com at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.