Big-hearted Brits are offering their spare rooms to Afghans fleeing the Taliban after being moved by the horrific scenes at Kabul Airport. A charity pairing homeless refugees and asylum seekers with temporary hosts said there had been an unprecedented surge in applications. Around 300 new hosts have signed up in the past week compared with a handful in normal times. Lauren Scott, executive director of Refugees At Home, said: "A lot of people are saying they can't watch what is happening on TV and sit and do nothing. "They are offering to host someone from Afghanistan but we've had to tell them we don't know yet when these people will be here. We've got guests waiting from other places and generally people are willing to host them instead. "With the pandemic, so many spare rooms are now offices or circumstances have changed and we've lost hosts, so we need to be recruiting, especially in the big cities." Would you take in a refugee? Join the discussion in the comment section Evacuee children wait for the next flight in Kabul ( Image: Getty) Refugees At Home works with migrants and asylum seekers who are not yet eligible for official support because… Read full this story
- Big-hearted TV star Cynthia sends 4600 food parcels to hungry families every month
- 'Conditions in care homes are barbaric - prisoners have more rights than my OAP mum'
- Refugee Week: We celebrate those who have gone above and beyond during the pandemic
- Family who lost private home 'punished' after council demand £200 more rent for new house
- Brit transgender couple are first to have twins thanks to IVF gift from tragic friend
- Coronavirus vaccine RECAP: Brits become first in the world to get the jab on 'V-Day'
- UK weather forecast in your area as Brits battered by ice and snow in -10C freeze
- 'Super-gran' Margaret Keenan's historic coronavirus jab sets UK on long road to normality
- Mum, 32, 'asked boy, 14, home and had sex with him after watching him play football'
- UK Asylum Seekers Warehoused in 'Desperate Conditions' at Napier Barracks, Journalist Reports
Big-hearted Brits say UK has room for Afghan refugees as 300 offer temporary home have 348 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 21, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.