A magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit the southern Philippines on Sunday, the US Geological Service and local officials reported. No immediate damage or injuries was reported, but the country’s seismology experts said they were expecting aftershocks and reports of damage to come in. An hour later, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake was recorded just off the island of New Guinea. The first quake struck the southern Philippines province of Davao del Sur where civil defense officials reported strong shaking. “It was strong, but things did not topple or fall off,” Major Peter Glenn Ipong, the police chief of Bansalan near the epicenter, told AFP. Watch video 01:53 Share 6.2 earthquake rocks Indonesia Send Facebook Twitter reddit EMail Facebook Messenger Web Whatsapp Web Telegram linkedin Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3nxQg Powerful 6.2 earthquake rocks Indonesia’s Sulawesi island The GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences first said the depth of the earthquake was 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). The Philippines’ own Institute of Volcanology and Seismology gave a depth of 15 kilometers and said that it had been a tectonic earthquake. Three deadly earthquakes hit Bansalan within just two weeks in October 2019, killing at least 10 people. Sitting on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” the Philippines island chain is no stranger to earthquakes,… Read full this story
- Before Trump blasted Haiti, NBA player Olden Polynice went on a hunger strike for its people
- Northampton boys soccer team blanks Southern Lehigh 1-0
- Montana cruises to 43-20 win over Southern Utah
- MLB: Eastern, Southern, Texas Leagues Top Prospects
- Shohei Ohtani's strong pitching debut draws praise: 'I think you saw the talent'
- Zaza strikes again as Valencia beats Real Sociedad 3-2
- D-backs minor league report: Jackson pitchers off to strong start
- Three Strikes: Last day of the MLB draft was a big one for the long ball in the majors
- Angels rotation candidate Chavez starts out strong
- Triggs’ strong outing helps his chance to start for A’s
Strong earthquake strikes southern Philippines have 308 words, post on www.dw.com at July 2, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.