Karolina Tagaris (Reuters) (The Jakarta Post) PREMIUM Ritsona, Greece ● Sat, June 19 2021 With walled camps and tougher border controls, Greece is hardening its approach ahead of summer when migrant arrivals pick up, defying criticism from aid groups and saying it has little choice given a lack of support from the rest of Europe. The squalid conditions facing many asylum-seekers were laid bare last year when a fire devastated the sprawling Moria camp on Lesbos, and Greece has denied repeated accusations that its coast guard vessels have pushed back migrant boats as they entered Greek waters from Turkey. Migration Minister Notis Mitarachi says the government is taking a tougher approach “so we don’t send the wrong message of incentivizing people to come” to Greece. “Our policy is strict but fair,” Mitarachi told Reuters. Greece was the frontline of Europe’s… to Read Full Story SUBSCRIBE NOW Starting from IDR 55,000/month Unlimited access to our content on web and app No advertising, no interruption A bonus subscription to share Bookmark and night mode functions on app Subscription to our newsletters We accept Register to read 3 premium articles for free Already subscribed? login
- Ukraine feels abandoned amid US impeachment drama
- Europe needs many more babies to avert a population disaster
- EU met only 5% of target for relocating refugees from Greece and Italy
- Up to 4.8m unauthorised immigrants in Europe in 2017 – study
- Merkel Pushes for EU Common Asylum System After Inviting Millions of Migrants to Europe
- Wet Wet Wet: Norwegian Minister of Migration's Publicity Stunt Backfires
- Home secretary hardens refusal to accept EU resettlement programme
- Europe is squeezed between a hungry China and surly US
- EU Pressure on Greece Over Migrants, EU-Turkey Deal Blasted as 'Hypocritical'
- Fattemah's choice: stay in a warzone or risk losing her baby on journey to Europe
Feeling abandoned by Europe, Greece hardens migration policy have 288 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at June 19, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.