The Hanoi Academy of Theatre and Cinema will perform King Oedipus at the 6th Asian Theatre Schools Festival (AETC) held online due to COVID-19 in Beijing, China, from May 18 to 23. The play King Oedipus by the Hanoi Academy of Theatre and Cinema’s students will be performed at the 6th Asian Theatre Schools Festival. The festival will be held online in Beijing, China, from May 18 to 23. Photo Hanoi Academy of Theatre and Cinema The play is staged by director Bui Nhu Lai and features students from the academy. “King Oedipus is by Sophocles, who is master of ancient Greek theatre and global theatre as well,” said Lai. “The script is really a challenge for any director and performing artists because of its ideals and the complicated development of the characters,” he said. As a result, King Oedipus has not been staged in Vietnam before, according to the director. The main themes of the play are fate and free will; the conflict between the individual and the state; people's willingness to ignore painful truths; and sight and blindness. The director has modernised the work. The play focuses on the terrible tragedy of King Oedipus in the process of confrontation and determination to find the truth in the curse that he will kill his father and marry his mother. Extreme pain is… Read full this story
- Perth festival: artists step up protests against sponsorship by fossil fuel companies
- Fringe benefits: with oversaturated festival programs, how can artists cut through?
- Edinburgh festival 2016: the shows we recommend
- Goa Open Arts festival and the art of fostering relationships
- Theatre director Terry Hands, who ran the Royal Shakespeare Company, dies aged 79
- Over 500 artists to join int’l choir contest in Hoi An
- Hue Festival to be held in April
- Bushfire-affected communities use 'verbatim' theatre to air stories and heal trauma, highlighting its broader benefits
- Bà Đen Mountain Spring Festival opens in Tây Ninh Province
- Sugar Land theater introduces ‘Matilda JR’ to Atlanta Junior Theatre Festival
Vietnamese theatre artists to attend online Asian festival have 325 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.