South Carolina’s governor on Monday issued an executive order directing the state’s Department of Social Services (DSS) to prevent federal officials from housing minors who arrived unaccompanied by parents or guardians at the U.S.-Mexico border into foster care or group homes in the state. An executive order signed by Gov. Henry McMaster (R) states that DSS should “prevent placements of unaccompanied migrant children … into residential group care facilities or other foster care facilities” in the state due to the strain that such placements would cause on the state’s system. In his order, McMaster also cited what he said were “questionable” COVID-19 testing procedures in federal migrant housing facilities as a reason for discouraging the housing of unaccompanied migrant children in state facilities. ADVERTISEMENT The Kingstree News reported that McMaster’s order came in response to a letter to the governor from Brian Leach, the head of South Carolina’s DSS, who informed McMaster of the federal government’s request to transport an unspecified number of migrant children to the state for housing in state care facilities and foster homes. "South Carolina's children must always be given first priority for placement into foster care and the State's strained resources must be directed to… Read full this story
- BSP moves SC to withdraw guest house case against Mulayam
- House passes resolution formally denouncing Trump tweets as racist
- House Dems Deal Death Blow to Domestic NSA Phone Spying
- Shiv Sena Moves SC Against Guv's Refusal For Extra Time To Muster Numbers In Maharashtra
- Maratha quota bill gets Maharashtra governor's nod
- Maharashtra government formation: Governor asks BJP to 'indicate willingness' to form govt
- NIGERIA DECIDES: How 36 states will vote
- UN: Attacks in Myanmar's Rakhine state could be 'war crimes'
- Maharashtra Governor Invites Devendra Fadnavis To Form Govt; Floor Test On Nov 11
- Governor invites BJP to form govt
SC governor bars state from housing unaccompanied minors have 305 words, post on thehill.com at April 13, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.