Video Player Close BEIJING, April 29 (Xinhua) — No country fits the hat of “coercive diplomacy” better than the United States, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Thursday. Spokesperson Wang Wenbin made the remarks at a press briefing when asked to comment on U.S. accusations that China engages in “coercive diplomacy” and “economic and military coercion.” Noting Alexander George, a professor at Stanford University, first put forward in 1971 the concept of “coercive diplomacy” to summarize the U.S. policy toward Laos, Cuba and Vietnam at that time, Wang said the United States has demonstrated to the world what coercive diplomacy is through its actions. “That is, to achieve its strategic goals through the threat of force, political isolation, economic sanctions and technological blockades,” the spokesperson added. “From the perspective of the threat of force, the classic cases of ‘coercive actions’ by the United States have caused war and human tragedy,” Wang said, adding that the U.S. government is not shy about using the term “coercive diplomacy.” “In terms of political isolation and economic sanctions, the United States has been wielding the ‘big stick of sanctions’ against Cuba, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Iran and Venezuela for years,” Wang… Read full this story
- The last statesman: Can Jon Huntsman Jr. keep the art of diplomacy alive in the time of President Trump?
- 13-year-old girl battling cancer told to remove hat for class photo
- Hillary Scott talks about Lady Antebellum's return, touring with twins, country radio's gender gap
- McIntyre: Reagan’s back, in 3D, at Simi Valley presidential library
- Transcript: Jake Sullivan talks with Michael Morell on "Intelligence Matters" podcast, Sept. 11, 2018
- Is Jon Huntsman Jr. America's last diplomat? A conversation with Jesse Hyde (+podcast)
- Best & Worst 2018: Shopping & Services
- How Obama Made It Easier for Trump to Launch a Nuke
- Trump and Kerry trade barbs over ex-secretary of state's meetings with Iranian regime
- Calendar Listings: October 18 – October 25
No country fits "coercive diplomacy" hat better than U.S.: FM spokesperson have 313 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.