Myanmar police tightened security in Hlaingthaya, Yangon in March 2021. — AFP/VNA Photo JAKARTA — Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will convene a meeting in Jakarta, Indonesia on April 24 to discuss efforts in building the ASEAN Community, external relations and regional issues, including the crisis in Myanmar. Plans for the meeting have been in the works. Earlier on April 16, regional news sources revealed that leaders of 10 ASEAN members, including Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services of Myanmar Sen. Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, are to attend the meeting. The meeting was advocated by host Indonesia and its Minister for Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi in the past few weeks, with support from Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and the Philippines. Cambodian AKP news agency on April 16 reported that Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen has confirmed his attendance. Brunei, which currently holds the rotating Chairmanship of ASEAN, showed its support for the meeting to discuss the situation in Myanmar. According to a joint statement issued following a meeting between Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah and Prime Minister of Malaysia Muhyiddin Yassin, ministers and high-ranking officials of the two countries have been asked to prepare for the meeting held… Read full this story
- RCEP negotiations, regional connectivity plans in focus as ASEAN leaders, dialogue partners to meet in Bangkok
- PM Modi to embark on a 3-day Thailand visit today for Asean-related summits
- Modi seeks more on services to complete trade deal: Asean Update
- At historic Koreas summit, "sincere, candid" talks on denuclearization
- China-ASEAN relations advancing into new stage of all-round development
- ASEAN officials to meet in Manila to draft e-agreement
- Kim Jon Un concludes China visit ahead of possible 2nd Trump summit
- Giuliani: Trump special counsel interview decision delayed
- Foundation for a Healthy Ky. will help state keep people covered as Medicaid changes; summit held to discuss new work rules
- Government as a dialogue: Will the Gov 2.0 Summit contribute?
ASEAN leaders announce plan for in-person special summit on Myanmar situation have 305 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at April 17, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.