TORONTO (REUTERS) – The man charged with plowing a rented van into dozens of people in Toronto in 2018, killing 10, is guilty of all 26 counts, a judge ruled on Wednesday (March 3). Alek Minassian, 28, told police he was motivated by a desire to punish society for his perceived status as an “incel” – short for involuntary celibate – because he believed women would not have sex with him. The defence failed to prove Minassian’s autism spectrum disorder deprived him of the capacity to know his actions were wrong, Judge Anne Molloy said, in a verdict that was live-streamed on YouTube following a trial held virtually due to the pandemic. Molloy referred to Minassian as “John Doe” because of the way the case had given him the notoriety he said he desired. “Mr Doe thought about committing these crimes over a considerable period of time and made a considered decision to proceed. His attack on these 26 victims that day was an act of a reasoning mind notwithstanding its horrific nature and notwithstanding that he has no remorse for it, and no empathy for his victims.” Whether Minassian rented the van or used it to kill people was… Read full this story
- Toronto van attack suspect Alek Minassian hit with three more attempted murder charges
- Who Is Ken Lam? The Officer Who Refused to Shoot Toronto Van Attack Suspect
- What is involuntary celibacy and the incel rebellion and what did Elliot Rodger and Alek Minassian say about it?
- Who Were the Toronto Victims? Police Release Names of Those Killed in Van Attack
- Video: Toronto Van Attack Officer Hailed As 'Hero' For Refusing To Shoot Suspect
- Toronto van attack – Ten dead, 16 injured after 70mph rental van mows down pedestrians including ‘young girl and parent with pram’
- Hog farm’s neighbors not entitled to punitive damages, judge rules
- Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect pleads not guilty to federal hate crime charges
- Bankruptcy protects Detroit from claims by exonerated youth, judge rules
- Toronto Van Suspect Praised Mass Murderer, Cited 'Incel Rebellion' on Facebook Before Plowing into Pedestrians
Toronto 2018 van attack suspect Alek Minassian guilty, judge rules have 330 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.