George Floyd’s family will receive $27million (£19m) payout to settle a lawsuit over his death. The city of Minneapolis agreed to settle the settlement following the 46-year-old’s death at the hands of police last year. The unarmed black man’s death in police custody stirred protests over racial injustice and police brutality. His death ignited Black Lives Matters demonstrations around the world. The city’s Mayor Jacob Frey will join other elected officials and members of Floyd’s family on Friday afternoon local time for a news Floyd died in May as Derek Chauvin, a white Minneapolis police officer, kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes. Floyd’s dying pleas for help were captured on widely seen bystander’s video which triggered worldwide demands for justice. Floyd’s sister Bridgett Floyd said in a statement that she and her family were “pleased that this part of our tragic journey to justice for my brother George is resolved.” “While our hearts are broken, we are comforted in knowing that even in death, George Floyd showed the world how to live.” The trial of Chauvin, who was fired by the police force, began earlier this week in Hennepin County’s district court on charges of murder and manslaughter…. Read full this story
- Baltimore Cops May Soon Be Liable for Payouts to Victims of Police Brutality
- 2 Dallas police officers wounded in shooting outside store
- 2018 British Journalism Awards shortlist revealed: 'This is what Dame Cairncross needs to protect'
- St. Louis Police Department Has Paid Out $4,700,000 to Settle 44 Cases Since 2010: Report
- The 2017 Wypipo Awards
- Adrien Broner Is Boxing With Death and I Hope He’s Got Another Round in Him
- Staten Island Yankees Hold ‘Blue Lives Matter’ Event on Anniversary of Michael Brown’s Death
- 'He was begging for his life': Family's anger as police finally play 911 calls made by neighborhood watch captain who shot black teen
- They’ve Been Filming the Police for Almost Two Decades. Meet America’s Copwatchers.
- 50 Reasons You Despised George W. Bush's Presidency
George Floyd's family awarded £19million payout after death at hands of police have 330 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 12, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.