DÜSSELDORF, Germany – It's been a year since Bayern Munich fans last saw their team play at home. In that time the team has become German, European and world champion. The anniversary will be marked Saturday by another empty-stadium edition of "der Klassiker" against Borussia Dortmund. When Bayern fans were last allowed into the Allianz Arena on March 8, 2020, there was celebration in the air. Bayern was marking its 120th anniversary in throwback white jerseys with wine-colored sleeves and faded-out sponsor logos. Bayern was unbeaten in 14 games ahead of what turned out to be a nervy 2-0 win over Augsburg eventually sealed by Leon Goretzka's goal in stoppage time. That unbeaten run eventually hit 33 games, including the 1-0 win over Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League final in August, just one of many TV-only triumphs for Bayern fans in 2020. "The curious thing is that since last spring, our team has actually been delivering the best football it's played for a long time, permanently at a top level," honorary club president Uli Hoeness said Thursday. "I have the impression that our players are on a personal mission to please the fans out there in this pandemic. They… Read full this story
- Revenge and redemption: How Bayern Munich recovered from 1999 Manchester United trauma
- The Latest: Bayern Munich players return to training
- Coronavirus impact: Bayern Munich back to training but hugs & challenges are prohibited
- Bayern Munich resume training but hugs and challenges are banned
- Bayern Munich head coach Hansi Flick signs permanent deal until 2023
- Thomas Muller signs new Bayern Munich deal until 2023
- Bayern Munich return to training in 'small groups'
- Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz wants Bayern Munich move
- Chris Richards, part of 'new wave of American players,' is ready for debuts with Bayern Munich and the USMNT
- On this day in sport: The Olympics are reborn, Messi and Bayern go goal crazy
Bayern Munich gears up for improved Dortmund in ‘Klassiker’ have 313 words, post on www.thestar.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.