MADRID – Former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu was provisionally set free on Tuesday after appearing before a judge following a night in jail while being investigated for possible irregularities during his administration. Court officials said Bartomeu and his former adviser at the Spanish club, Jaume Masferrer, used their right not to make any comments in court. Bartomeu, Masferrer and two other club officials were arrested on Monday after Catalan police raided Barcelona's headquarters in a search and seizure operation related to last year's "Barçagate." In that case, the club was accused of launching a smear campaign against current and former players who were critical of then-president Bartomeu and others. The club itself has not been charged but Bartomeu was not cleared. Court officials lifted the case's secrecy and those accused will have access to the evidence gathered by authorities before appearing in court again. The arrests came less than a week before the club holds presidential elections, and added to the turmoil surrounding the team recently. "Every club has its difficult moments," said Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman, who took over after the club's crisis erupted following the team's 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the quarterfinals of the Champions… Read full this story
- WWE legend turned porn star Sunny, real name Tammy Sytch, arrested and could reportedly face ‘five years in jail’
- 5 free agents the Miami Heat should target in 2017 free agency
- Should Jose Mourinho go to jail for bullying Bastian Schweinsteiger?
- Controversial late penalty gets Real Madrid out of jail and dashes magnificent Juve fightback at the death
- Controversial late penalty gets Real Madrid out of jail and dashes brave Juventus fightback at the death
- Scenes from Wrigleyville: Quiet days and long nights near the ballpark
- MMQB: Breaking down the frenzied first four days of free agency
- Deal set to dismiss domestic assault case against Manziel
- 2017 NFL Free Agency: One Still-Available Player Each Team Should Target
- Butler trade sets the stage for looming free agency
Bartomeu provisionally set free after spending night in jail have 335 words, post on www.thestar.com at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.