TORUN, POLAND (AFP) – Armand ‘Mondo’ Duplantis and Jakob Ingebrigtsen, two of the rising stars of track and field, showcased all their incredible promise with imperious displays to win the pole vault and 3,000 metres at the European Indoor Athletics championships in Torun on Sunday (March 7). Coming up to four years since Usain Bolt retired, the athletics world has been long looking for a replacement worthy of the plaudits lauded on the multi-medalled Jamaican sprint legend. And in US-born Swede Duplantis and Norwegian track prodigy Ingebrigtsen, they might well have found two suitable substitutes in a sport in need of identifiable pin-ups. Ingebrigtsen, 20, defended his 3,000m title to claim a Euro indoor double after his controversy-ridden victory in the 1,500m on Friday, recording a personal best of 7min 48.20sec. It was almost a case of the Norwegian heading home with nothing after a dramatic 1,500m that saw him disqualified for stepping infield, only to be reinstated in the early hours of Saturday. That belated gold showing saw him compete in the heats of the longer event, something he had threatened not to do had the DQ been allowed to stand. Come the second final, Ingebrigtsen shot out to… Read full this story
- Katarina Johnson-Thompson wins gold in pentathlon to get Britain off to flyer in European Indoors
- Teenage sensation Jakob Ingebrigtsen remains unflustered on march towards global stardom
- Athletics review of 2018: Dina Asher-Smith's brilliance, Eliud Kipchoge's marathon record and a memorable European Championships
- Athletics chief Stephen Maguire out to revive Scottish sprinting
- A Q&A with rising American track star Sydney McLaughlin
- 'I'm a championship performer'
- Niamh Emerson interview: 'This is all so weird and new
- Laura Muir ready for her own ‘Rumble in the Jungle’
- City of Leeds Diving Club coach Joe Meszaros excited about the future after stellar 2018
- COMPLETE CARD ANNOUNCED FOR ONE: FOR HONOR IN JAKARTA ON 3 MAY
Athletics: Rising stars Duplantis, Ingebrigtsen imperious at European indoor meet have 303 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at March 9, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.