By Amar Patnaik 'The history of childhood is a nightmare from which we have only recently begun to awaken'. This observation made by deMause, an investigator in psycho-histories in 2005 regarding traditions of child-rearing in different times and cultures, holds good for each age. He expounded that the evolution of child rearing gives insight into the development of a particular society. If this is the yardstick, what does that say about India's development when a mechanism to ensure data privacy of children is absent, while their presence online is normalised through formal government approval due to COVID induced physical meeting restrictions. Enormity of the problem As of 2019, the report of the Internet and Mobile Association of India noted that almost two-thirds of the internet users in India fall into the age brackets of 12-29 years. The report found that from a total number of 451 million monthly active internet users, over 66 million were in the age group of 5-11 years and 385 million were above the age of 12 years. The Puttaswamy Judgement in the year 2012 was categorical in stating that "Privacy of children will require special protection not just in the context of the virtual world,… Read full this story
- All of the new mind-blowing 'Black Mirror' episodes, ranked
- Harry Reid sports black sunglasses during press conference to protect injured eye
- Dickerson: When lives are at stake, should it be a crime to look the other way?
- In FBI murder data, mass killings often go missing
- Irish judge asks EU court to clarify data rules after allegations of Facebook sharing EU data with the NSA
- White, Asian students dominate city's top middle schools with black, Latino students left out
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH 2015 : New York celebrates African-American culture and heritage with an abundance of events
- Weiner, Thompson and black voters
- Report: East Valley Black arrests higher than Ferguson
A black mirror for policy makers: Looking at data protection for minors have 316 words, post on ciso.economictimes.indiatimes.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.