Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many San Francisco Bay Area public schools have been closed for nearly a full year. And while we’ve heard a lot about whether they should reopen from both politicians and teacher unions, we haven’t heard nearly as much from actual teachers, or parents, or even students. So, we decided to give them the floor. Our call for reader emails Monday resulted in an overwhelming response — we received more than 300 messages from teachers, district superintendents, parents, students, grandparents, doctors, college professors and community members. Of those, 251 were in favor of reopening, most written by parents and a handful of teachers and students. We received 45 emails from a mix of parents and teachers who feel distance learning is the safest option right now. And the remaining emails were a mishmash that, in many cases, analyzed both sides of the argument. A number of students in the Bay Area — including 15,800 students at 114 private and charter schools in San Francisco — are already working under a hybrid model, requiring them to attend class both in person and over Zoom. Menlo Park City School District Superintendent Erik Burmeister wrote to say his district… Read full this story
- San Francisco Bay Area records its first death linked to vaping
- Google Announces It Will Invest $1 Billion In San Francisco Bay Area Housing
- Homelessness In San Francisco Bay Area Has Gone Amok As Officials Scramble For Answers
- White House considers diverting San Francisco Bay money to pay for Trump’s wall
- Is there actually a good time to buy a house in San Francisco?
- Big plans to turn San Francisco aquarium into world-class climate leader
- Monsanto’s Roundup found by jury to be likely cause of cancer in second Bay Area man
- This San Francisco dating service doesn't allow photos—and starts at $25,000
- Amy Poehler riffs on San Francisco culture, women's rights at Clusterfest
- Wildfire season increases risk of bad air in Bay Area - and masks aren't the solution
What teachers, students, parents said about San Francisco Bay Area schools reopening have 321 words, post on www.sfgate.com at February 16, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.