Later this month, a full moon will grace the skies above the Earth. The full moon in February is popularly referred to using several names, including “Snow,” “Storm” and “Hunger.” According to The Old Farmer’s Almanac (OFA), the names that are used for the full moons in the U.S. today come from a variety of places, including Native, colonial and European sources. Often, names that originally derived from Native American groups were later adopted by European colonizers. Traditionally, these names applied to the entire lunar month in which they occurred, rather than just the full moon itself. The ” Snow ” moon moniker originates from Native American tribes in the northeast of what is now the U.S.—a region that typically experiences high snowfall during this month. While January is usually the coldest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, February tends to be the snowiest month in the U.S. Captain Jonathan Carver, who had visited the Naudowessie people in the 1760s, wrote that the name they used for the full moon in February was the Snow Moon because “more snow commonly falls during this month than any other in the winter.” Native American tribes in this region also referred… Read full this story
- February Supermoon 2019: Why is it called the Super Snow Moon?
- Supermoon 2019: How to see the Full Snow Moon from the UK next WEEK
- UK Supermoon weather forecast: Will you be able to see rare Snow Moon tonight?
- China’s space journey, to the moon’s far side and beyond
- Warren builder helps construct NASA rocket to the moon
- When is the next full moon? December’s Cold Moon and 2019 moon schedule revealed
- Oldest crater on the moon was created by a giant asteroid: Chinese probe finds rocks from deep inside the moon on its surface – and now scientists want to bring them back to Earth
- Meet Excitable Edgar! Well-meaning but accident-prone dragon is unveiled as the fire-breathing star of John Lewis's tearjerking Christmas advert
- Quadrantid Meteor Shower 2016, And Snow In Lansdale
- Set Course for Pandia: Jupiter’s Newly Discovered Moons Officially Have Names
What Is a Snow Moon? The Meanings Behind the Names of February's Full Moon have 343 words, post on www.newsweek.com at February 24, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.