The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) transits through South China Sea while conducting routine underway operations, February 5, 2021. — Photo from the US Department of Defense HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam is a responsible member of the international community and always upholds provisions under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas (UNCLOS 1982), spokesperson for the foreign ministry Lê Thị Thu Hằng said. She made the statement on Thursday in the regular press briefing, held virtually this time due to COVID-19 in Hà Nội, when asked for Việt Nam's reaction to the US Navy's first freedom of navigation operation (FONOP) held under the Biden administration in February. The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain reportedly conducted the FONOP near the Trường Sa (Spratly) and Hoàng Sa (Paracel) archipelagoes in the South China Sea (known as the East Sea by Việt Nam) over which Việt Nam has repeatedly claimed sovereignty, but contested by mainland China and China's Taiwan. "By engaging in innocent passage without giving prior notification to or asking permission from any of the claimants," the US Navy noted in a statement. Also regarding the recent statement by French Minister of Armed… Read full this story
- VN rejects CNOOC’ international bids in continental shelf
- Vietnam- a UN proactive and responsible member
- The Law of the Sea of Viet Nam
- NA discusses several draft laws
- Rescue groups and the international community blame Bashar al-Assad's regime for the chemical attack of April 7
- Can state cyber attacks be justified under international law?
- New Tax Dodging, Money Laundering Laws at UK Caribbean Territories
- Has The International Community Really Done All It Can For Bangladesh And The Rohingya?
- Nigerian Chinedu Moghalu appointed Head, Communications & Advocacy for the Africa Risk Capacity / United Nations World Food Programme
- Parties resisted amending TJ laws, says AI
VN responsible member of international community, observes international law: Spokesperson have 312 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at February 25, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.