South Korean Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun on Thursday ordered a revamp of social distancing guidelines in a bid to win greater public support for efforts to stop local transmission of the new coronavirus. The country’s five-tier social distancing system has faced a public backlash for imposing unfair restrictions and curfews on specific businesses, including a ban on indoor restaurant dining after 9 p.m. “Rather than introduce the guidelines unilaterally, we should make the virus prevention rules along with the public,” Chung told an intra-agency meeting on Thursday. Separately, health authorities warned on Thursday that a large fourth wave of infections caused by the more transmissible British and South African coronavirus variants cannot be ruled out. There have been 39 confirmed cases of those variants. While South Korea had initial success in containing the virus without drastic lockdowns, an incremental approach to social distancing and more rigid guidelines were criticised for leaving it scrambling to contain a third wave of transmissions. At the same time, however, hundreds of restaurant and cafe owners across the country complained about the impact of the bans on their businesses. Gym owners hurt by restrictions reopened in protest against strict social distancing rules, ahead of the… Read full this story
- Top South Korea Buddhist leader Seoljeong faces corruption, fatherhood allegations
- Vintage fashion: Senior models bridge South Korea's age divide
- South Korea's Constitutional Court orders abortion ban be scrapped by end of 2020
- How a boy band from South Korea became the biggest in the world
- Kim’s sister begins unprecedented South Korea visit
- A tale of two countries: the Philippines and South Korea
- WATCH: South Korean constitutional court orders abortion ban be lifted
- Korea’s peeping Tom dilemma: Are censors getting too much power?
- South Korean tourists shun Japan over row
- 19 bodies found after Laos dam collapse, hundreds still missing
South Korea PM orders revamp of COVID-19 social distancing rules have 297 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at February 4, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.