(CNN) A South African inquiry into corruption during Jacob Zuma’s time in power is seeking the former president’s imprisonment for two years, after he defied a summons and court order to appear and give evidence. In an application in the constitutional court seen by Reuters, the “state capture” inquiry is seeking an order that Zuma is guilty of contempt of court for not turning up last week or providing affidavits when instructed to do so. The inquiry is examining allegations of high-level graft during Zuma’s period in power from 2009 to 2018. Zuma denies wrongdoing and has not cooperated with the inquiry. His no-show last week came despite the inquiry summoning him to appear and the constitutional court directing him to comply with that summons and give testimony. Read More Zuma’s lawyer Eric Mabuza was not available when called by Reuters seeking comment. The allegations against Zuma include that he allowed businessmen close to him – brothers Atul, Ajay and Rajesh Gupta – to plunder state resources and influence policy. The Guptas, who also deny wrongdoing, left South Africa after Zuma was ousted in a move orchestrated by allies of his successor Cyril Ramaphosa. Ramaphosa has been trying to restore… Read full this story
- Millionaire South African philanthropist, 49, is revealed as secretive backer of under-fire bookmaker Betway amid outrage over its 'grooming' of gambling addicts
- South Africans in Wuhan lockdown call for evacuation from coronavirus outbreak epicenter
- Delay in ex-South African leader’s case as appeal planned
- As Marriage Age Rises, South African Women Ask: Who Needs It?
- When will South Africans see Philander's like again?
- Gaza's Last Tiger is Settling Into His New South African Home
- I'm A Celebrity's Erin Barnett confirms Charlotte Crosby's PDA-filled romance with Ryan Gallagher in the South African jungle is REAL and they will 'probably come out boyfriend and girlfriend'
- Cow dung and old tyres inspire South African township artists
- The tail wags South Africa-Nigeria dog
- Can rugby help unite South Africa again?
South African corruption inquiry wants Zuma jailed for two years after no-show have 322 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 23, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.