SINGAPORE: The COVID-19 pandemic may have hit the economy, battered some industries and disrupted livelihoods, but Singapore has an economic strategy to emerge stronger, Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat said in Parliament on Friday (Feb 26). He noted that the Government committed close to S$100 billion last year to fight the crisis, adding that this year’s Budget – with the theme Emerging Stronger Together – will further help Singaporeans. "The impulses from last year's measures continue to flow through the economy to complement Budget 2021. The combined effects of the two years' Budgets imply a material support to GDP in 2021," said Mr Heng in his wrap-up speech on the third and final day of the Budget debate. READ: Singapore should strive to remain fiscally prudent amid highly uncertain global outlook: DPM Heng Citing examples of how measures have helped businesses and workers, Mr Heng said the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Package has helped to cushion the labour market fallout, and nearly 76,000 local job seekers were placed in jobs and skills opportunities through the SGUnited Jobs and Skills package between April and December last year. READ: Emerging stronger from COVID-19 crisis the focus of Budget 2021 READ: Budget 2021: S$5.4 billion boost to… Read full this story
- First 2020 debate erupts into a fiery shouting match on immigration in wake of father and daughter's border deaths - and candidates compete to speak in Spanish - as Trump tweets 'BORING!'
- Spain's new 'Mr Handsome' Prime Minister... who looks like Antonio Banderas! Photogenic Socialist ally of Jeremy Corbyn seizes power after Mariano Rajoy is ousted in corruption scandal
- Pranab Mukherjee's Budget Speech
- Special Report: The non-profits, startups and PACs seizing on Trump’s dream wall
- Full text of Chinese president's speech at BRICS Business Forum in South Africa
- The 25 Best Horror Movies Since
- Reaction to claims Cameron wants to 'get rid of green crap': Politics live blog
- The reckless plot to overthrow Africa's most absurd dictator
- The new left economics: how a network of thinkers is transforming capitalism
- Drought assistance worth $320m unveiled – as it happened
Singapore can seize opportunities to emerge stronger amid pandemic, says DPM Heng after Budget debate have 335 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.