Warning against the dangers of climate change and natural disasters like the one in Uttarakhand recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday asked the IITs to develop disaster resilient infrastructure that can withstand their effects. Addressing the 66th convocation of IIT (Kharagpur), the oldest of Indian Institutes of Technology , he gave the students the mantra of “Self-3” – “self-awareness, self- confidence and selflessness” – in order to become startups for bringing about a change in the lives of people. He also spoke of the need for making available safe, affordable and environment-friendly energy to people through initiatives like the International Solar Alliance. “Climate change is a major challenge as natural disasters destroy infrastructure. India drew the attention of the world to the issue of disaster management. “You can see what happened recently in Uttarakhand. We should focus on developing disaster resilient infrastructure that can withstand natural disasters,” he said. The prime minister referred to the global Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI), which he announced at the UN Climate Action Summit in 2019. The CDRI envisages partnership of national governments, UN agencies and programmes, multilateral development banks, financing mechanisms, private sector, and knowledge institutions to promote the resilience of new… Read full this story
- Climate change is already here, and heat waves are having the biggest effect
- UK poorly prepared for climate change impacts, government advisers warn
- In Zimbabwe, climate change is fueling erratic harvests and farmers with HIV are struggling
- We're losing the war on climate change
- Is Climate Change Causing A Rise In Mosquito And Tick-Borne Diseases?
- Climate change is going to make life on Earth a whole lot worse, report predicts
- Doctors cite climate change for rise in animal bites, U.S. health care costs
- Trump Administration’s Climate Report Raises New Questions About Nuclear Energy’s Future
- Letters: HIV/AIDS, National Climate Assessment, Citizens' Climate Lobby, health care, Andy Rooney
- Energy, economy and environment are all highly correlated – 10 Reasons to Build Resilience
PM Modi on climate change: Disaster-resilient infra need of the hour have 314 words, post on government.economictimes.indiatimes.com at February 24, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.