New Delhi: Soaring fuel prices , environmental awareness and the new vehicle scrappage policy announced in Budget 2021 are likely to encourage a gradual shift to electric vehicles in the coming years. Personal vehicles make up more than 90 percent of registered motor-vehicles in India, with nearly 162.6 million two-wheelers sold between 2011-2020. Hence, for the nation to realize its EV vision, facilitating its uptake among individual consumers – both four- and two-wheeler users – is as important as electrifying commercial fleets. However, a critical obstacle to boosting individual uptake today, is the lack of charging infrastructure at convenient locations. With studies showing that about 50-80 percent of private charging happens at homes and another 15-25 percent at the workplace, it is essential to equip our buildings with the necessary infrastructure for EV charging . Aiming for the low-hanging fruits Charging points in buildings will need to primarily cater to electric two-wheelers and cars. The new crop of electric two-wheelers has an average drive range of 60-80km, enough for a typical daily commute. With access to charging at parking spaces in home or at office buildings, consumers need not think twice before buying an electric two-wheeler. Electric two-wheelers can be… Read full this story
- GM is building an EV battery factory with LG Chem in Lordstown, Ohio
- Letters to the Editor: L.A.'s new limit on developer donations won’t stop runaway building
- Back to the Future: Can Nuclear Energy Save the World?
- Quantum Xchange Showcases its Groundbreaking Quantum-Safe Key Management System at MIT Future Compute
- Ready or Not Directors Discuss Blending Horror With Humor and What the Future Could Hold for Grace
- Opinion: AT&T expo highlights 5G promise and perils
- How The Future Gigabit Internet Is Likely To Play Out
- Letting Iowa Vote First Is Holding Back the Democratic Party | Opinion
- Sorry Elon Musk, We'll Probably Never Colonize Mars | Opinion
- Hyundai N Performance Brand Expanding To SUVs And EVs
OPINION: Prepping our buildings today for an EV-ready future have 308 words, post on energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com at February 25, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.