Video PlayerClose HONG KONG, Feb. 2 (Xinhua) — Hong Kong reported the largest annual decline on record in retail sales volume last year as the COVID-19 epidemic dealt a major blow to consumption-related activities, official data showed Tuesday. The retail sales volume dropped 25.5 percent in 2020 from a year ago, according to a statement of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government. Meanwhile, retail sales value declined 24.3 percent to 326.5 billion Hong Kong dollars (about 42 billion U.S. dollars). Sales of jewelry, watches and clocks were the hardest hit, with the sales value down 54 percent, followed by the 50-percent drop for medicines and cosmetics and the 39.7-percent decrease in footwear, allied products and other clothing accessories. In December, the retail sales value went down 13.2 percent year on year, widening from the 4.1-percent drop in November. A government spokesman said that retail sales saw a sharper decline in December amid the fourth wave of the epidemic and the resultant social distancing measures. Looking ahead, he expects the business environment will remain challenging in the near term amid frozen inbound tourism and the ongoing local epidemic, and stressed that keeping the epidemic under control is pivotal to the… Read full this story
- Hong Kong Airport to Ban Transit Passengers From 150 Countries
- Trump Signs Hong Kong Democracy Legislation, Angering China
- Hong Kong Internet Stocks Outperform In A Rough Night In Asia
- Hong Kong activist behind Tiananmen vigil convicted for inciting illegal assembly
- Covid-19 restrictions extended in Hong Kong until third day of Chinese New Year
- Tencent, JD.com weigh on Hong Kong market as China finalises cybersecurity measures to tighten oversight of tech companies
- Biden Administration Pressures US Companies to Abandon Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Police Adopt Goose-Step in Drive for Extra 'Patriotism'
- Early holiday shopping hammers U.S. retail sales; Omicron drag anticipated in January
- Early holiday shopping hammers US retail sales
Hong Kong reports largest annual decline in retail sales volume in 2020 have 297 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at February 2, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.