Video PlayerClose ADDIS ABABA, Jan. 25 (Xinhua) — The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) on Monday disclosed its accelerating relocation of Ethiopian refugees from border camps to avoid fallout from persistent Ethiopia-Sudan border clashes. In a situation update published on Monday, the UNOCHA disclosed clashes along the Ethiopia-Sudan border have prompted the UN to accelerate efforts to relocate Ethiopian refugees in Sudan away from areas near the border with Ethiopia. The border area between Sudan and Ethiopia often witnesses armed clashes by militias during the preparation for the agricultural season. Since September 2020, the Sudan-Ethiopia border has been witnessing rising tensions and skirmishes between the two sides. UNOCHA also disclosed the outflow of Ethiopian refugees to Sudan mainly originating from Ethiopia’s northern Tigray regional state is continuing, but the daily arrivals numbers have reduced in recent days. The UN is housing nearly 60,000 Ethiopian refugees who fled ongoing conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray regional state which broke out last November. Months of fighting in Tigray between the ex-ruling party, the Tigray People’s Liberation Front and the Ethiopian Defense Forces have reportedly left thousands of people dead, hundreds of thousands displaced, and millions in urgent need of… Read full this story
- Israeli Minister Calls to Prevent Syrian Refugees Influx
- Netanyahu to Reopen Detention Centers for Refugees as Deportation Plan Fails
- Greek Police Intervene in Bloody Clashes Between Migrants, Nationalists (PHOTOS)
- Four Arab Nations Refuse to Host EU Reception Centers for Refugees
- Ethiopia invades Eritrea
- I was a 'lost boy' of Sudan and the US welcomed me. More refugees deserve that chance.
- The Syrian football star caught up in revolution and forced into refuge
- Deadly clashes in Gaza mark start of Palestinian campaign
- French Border Guards 'Abusing Child Migrants By Cutting Soles Of Shoes'
- EU asks whether Israel used 'proportionate' force in Gaza
Persistent Ethiopia-Sudan border clashes force UN to relocate refugee camps have 297 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at January 26, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.