Global human rights watchdog Amnesty International said on Wednesday that Ocean Lotus, a group with ties to the Vietnamese government, has been involved in hacking attacks targeting activists and an NGO. The accusations highlight how authorities could resort to unlawful digital surveillance to keep tabs on activists and government critics . Who was targeted? The suspected attacks took place between 2018 and November 2020. They targeted two prominent Vietnamese human rights defenders, one of whom lives in Germany, and a Vietnamese NGO based in the Philippines, Amnesty said. Blogger and pro-democracy activist Bui Thanh Hieu was targeted with spyware at least four times between February 2018 and December 2019, it revealed. He left Vietnam and has lived in Germany since 2013. It said another blogger based in Vietnam, who was not named due to fears for their safety, was targeted three times last year. A Philippines-based nongovernmental organization, the Vietnamese Overseas Initiative for Conscience Empowerment, or VOICE, was targeted by hackers in April 2020, the report said. Watch video 02:22 Share Vietnamese journalists censored Send Facebook Twitter reddit EMail Facebook Messenger Web Whatsapp Web Telegram linkedin Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3AHpE Vietnamese online journalists face censorship at home Attacks ‘highlight repression’ faced by activists… Read full this story
- US puts sanctions on N.Korea hacking groups behind major thefts
- Climate protesters target oil giant’s annual meeting
- Cyber criminals hacked into Sackler heir’s emails and took £1m
- Whatsapp confirms 'targeted' cyber surveillance attack
- Hong Kong rally targets Beijing's liaison office
- Russian FSB hacked: "Largest data breach in its history"
- The activists hoping to cause chaos at Europe's busiest airport
- iPhone users on alert as hacking attack uncovered
- iPhone users issued advices as serious hacking attack uncovered
- Climate activists chained to Holyrood
Hacking group targets Vietnam activists: Amnesty have 278 words, post on www.dw.com at January 24, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.