Houston, we have a problem. More specifically, Houston-based franchises seem to have issues retaining some of their stars.Within a week, Space City has lost 2018 NBA MVP James Harden and 2017 World Series MVP George Springer, while Deshaun Watson has made it abundantly clear his house in Houston could be up for sale in the coming months.Last Wednesday, the Houston Rockets ended speculation about Harden’s future after agreeing to trade the eight-time All-Star to the Brooklyn Nets in a blockbuster deal that also involved the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Indiana Pacers. Just a few days later, ESPN reported there was a “growing feeling” within the Texans that Watson may have played his last game for the franchise.On Tuesday, Springer completed the trifecta after ESPN and MLB Network reported he had agreed to a six-year, $150 million deal with the Toronto Blue Jays—the largest in the history of the Canadian franchise—bringing his seven-season spell in Houston to an end.While there’s a common theme of Houston franchises losing some of their stars, Springer’s circumstances differ from Harden’s and Watson’s in several aspects.The most obvious is that despite being one of the brightest stars on the Astros roster, Springer wasn’t the face of… Read full this story
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract
- LeBron James unhappy at suggestion of canceling NBA season
- Predicting 2020 NFL breakout players: These 14 didn't get fifth-year options picked up; here's who'll thrive
- 2020 NFL Schedule: Chiefs likely to host the regular-season opener and here's who they should play
- MVP Award predictions: In a wide-open field, will Giannis Antetokounmpo repeat?
- College basketball rankings: UCLA drops in Top 25 And 1 after losing its top recruit to the G League
- College basketball rankings: Gonzaga's No. 1 ranking in the Top 25 And 1 could hang on draft decisions
- College basketball rankings: Texas Tech gets a bump up in the Top 25 And 1 after landing VCU transfer
- College basketball rankings: Arizona State slips in Top 25 And 1 after Romello White enters transfer portal
- Senate Intelligence Committee finds no evidence of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign
Does Houston Have a Problem? George Springer and James Harden Gone, Deshaun Watson May Follow have 351 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 20, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.