In his new book, “How to Prepare for Climate Change: A Practical Guide to Surviving the Chaos” (Simon & Schuster), science and technology writer and “CBS Sunday Morning” correspondent David Pogue offers advice on how individuals can adapt to a quickly-changing planet. Maybe you’re liberal, maybe you’re conservative. Maybe you think the climate crisis is man-made, maybe you think it’s just natural cycles. Maybe you think the whole thing is a Chinese hoax. Guess what? It doesn’t matter. The world is getting hotter, natural systems are going haywire, and you should begin to prepare. Even if we stopped burning fossil fuels and chopping down forests tomorrow, we wouldn’t stop climate change. We wouldn’t stop land ice from melting, millions of people from enduring forced migration, thousands of animal species from going extinct, and thousands of people from dying every year from insane-weather events that are hitting steadily more frequently. That’s because 93% of our new, improved heat has gone into the oceans , which take decades or centuries to heat up or cool down. As a result, the planet’s climate would take a lifetime to reset. In short, the time for bickering about who or what is at fault is… Read full this story
- Why are the US news media so bad at covering climate change?
- David Cameron 'very much suspects' climate change is behind recent storms
- UK's climate change adaptation team cut from 38 officials to just six
- UK climate change spend almost halved under Owen Paterson, figures reveal
- Amazon Accelerates Efforts to Fight Climate Change
- The Uninhabitable Earth Wants You to Panic Over Climate Change
- These Scientists Formed a Fortnite Squad to Teach Players About Climate Change
- Climate Change is Already Transforming California Real Estate
- The Democrats’ climate-change plans, compared
- AI can help fight climate change — here’s eight ways how
Book excerpt: "How to Prepare for Climate Change" by David Pogue have 300 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at January 30, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.