WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is set to announce a wide-ranging moratorium on new oil and gas leasing on U.S. lands and waters, as his administration moves quickly to reverse Trump administration policies on energy and the environment and address climate change. Two people with knowledge of Biden’s plans outlined the proposed moratorium, which will be announced Wednesday. They asked not to be identified because the plan has not been made been public; some details remain in flux. The move follows a 60-day suspension of new drilling permits for U.S. lands and waters announced last week and follows Biden’s campaign pledge to halt new drilling on federally controlled land and water as part of his plan to address climate change. The moratorium is intended to allow time for officials to review the impact of oil and gas drilling on the environment and climate. Environmental groups hailed the expected moratorium as the kind of bold, urgent action needed to slow climate change. Related Stories California reopening: Where each county standsMap: Tracking COVID-19 cases across California “The fossil fuel industry has inflicted tremendous damage on the planet. The administration’s review, if done correctly, will show that filthy fracking and drilling must… Read full this story
- Fallout 76 Workbench Locations and Public Workshops Guide
- The FP Dragons’ Den Submissions Shortlist
- 'Fox & Friends' hosts on Warren's 'Medicare-for-All' plan: The math doesn't add up and 'people know it'
- History of Papyrus Racing Games
- Norman Wisdom: A Combat Mission Q&A
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord release date – all the latest details on gameplay, beta, and mods
- An unabridged interview with Metro 2033 author Dmitri Glukhovsky
- Top 10 films of 2014: complete UK chart
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord: release date, gameplay, beta, mods - everything we know
- The return of Star Wars: an evil empire in Jedi clothing?
AP sources: Biden to pause oil and gas sales on public lands have 296 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.