The US State Department has warned US citizens in China of an increased risk of arbitrary detention by authorities. The State Department specifically cautioned against the threat of deportation or detainment “for sending private electronic messages critical” of the government. “US citizens may be detained without access to US consular services or information about their alleged crime,” the advisory, published on Saturday, said. Exit bans and long interrogations were also mentioned as potential threats to US citizens. The State Department described the rules as “arbitrary enforcement of local laws for purposes other than maintaining law and order. Tensions mounting Relations between the US and China have hit rock bottom recently over the coronavirus, trade and Hong Kong. US President Donald Trump told reporters Friday that the relationship with China had been “severely damaged.” Read more: Sieren’s China: Trump keeps threats to China over Hong Kong vague Watch video 12:36 Share China: The dissident’s wife Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3f96c China: The dissident’s wife The US has been vocally critical of the controversial security law pushed on Hong Kong in June. The legislation bans subversive acts and speech against the Chinese government made anywhere in the world. Trump has… Read full this story
- Taiwan president vows not to back down as China raises the pressure on island state
- China opens world's longest sea bridge, and it's got 'yawn cameras'
- Data: Blacks more likely to be arrested
- China Warns of 'Grave Consequences' Over Arrest of Huawei Executive
- We could lose the 5G race to China, warns US Department of Defense
- China warns US over mistaken delivery to Taiwan of missile fuses
- Judge lets Amy Winehouse off with a warning after her arrest for alleged assault
- Queens man falsely claims Councilman I. Daneek Miller is his dad in face of arrest
- Baby-faced teen arrested as alleged gunman in stray-bullet shooting of Bronx girl, Vada Vasquez
- Interpol is being manipulated by Russia, says anti-Putin campaigner as he faces 7th arrest attempt
US citizens in China warned they face 'arbitrary' arrest in China have 351 words, post on www.dw.com at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.