(CNN)Spurred by mass protests against racism this summer, sports franchises with Native American-related names, mascots or logos faced pressure to stop using these stereotypes and caricatures. Since then, the NFL’s Washington Redskins and, as of Sunday, MLB’s Cleveland Indians agreed to drop their monikers. Several others, including the Kansas City Chiefs and Chicago Blackhawks, made adjustments to their traditions but have defended their names and logos. Native American leaders have long called on sports teams to move away from racist caricatures, stereotypes or, in the case of the NFL’s Washington franchise, an ethnic slur. “Change the Mascot is heartened to see the growing movement across professional sports to eliminate Native American mascots, and we hope this trend continues,” Oneida Nation Representative Ray Halbritter, leader of the Change the Mascot campaign, said in a statement. Here’s a look at what these teams have said and done on the subject since this summer. Read More Washington Football Team Washington Football Team defensive tackle Jonathan Allen walks out of the tunnel before an NFL game against the Dallas Cowboys, Thursday, Nov. 26, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. The NFL franchise in Washington, DC, dropped its moniker and changed its name to the Washington Football… Read full this story
- Native American Treatment Court graduates six Tuesday
- Native American Professor Talks Colonialism and Climate Change
- Climate change report: Native Americans face unique challenges
- Karl May Museum hangs on to Native American scalp
- Who is Amanda Knox, who killed Meredith Kercher and what happened to Amanda’s ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito?
- World of Sport wrestling is returning to British TV screens this Christmas – but what happened to the original heroes?
- What is the Fifa Club World Cup? Teams, dates and video assistant referees experiment – here’s what we know
- Need to Generate a Business Name? Here's How to Get it Right.
- American fanatic names his son Adolf and daughter Eva Braun before changing his last name to Hitler
- Gable Tostee reveals what happened the night Warriena Wright fell to her death during their Tinder date
These teams faced pressure to change their Native American names. Here's what's happened since have 334 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 14, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.