(CNN)The climate crisis has become a key issue not just for American voters in this US election — but people across the world. What the next president does or doesn’t do over the next four years will have a profound impact on the whether the world is able to avert the worst effects of climate change, scientists, policy makers and activists say. They say the world needs a US president who cares about climate change, for two main reasons. First, many nations take their cue from US policy, particularly on issues such as the climate crisis, meaning Washington has a unique opportunity to influence. Second, the US is the world’s second-biggest polluter after China, meaning it has a moral obligation to act. The pandemic gave the world a golden opportunity to fix the climate crisis. We’re about to waste it. President Donald Trump, during his current administration, has gutted domestic environmental regulations and policies designed to limit global warming. Internationally, he has pulled the US out of the landmark Paris climate accord, the only global pact that seeks to avoid dangerous heating of the planet. And he’s doubted the reasons for climate change. During the final presidential debate on Friday,… Read full this story
- Could Trump unravel Paris climate change deal?
- Climate change, a weighty global issue, is a non-issue here
- World leaders take stock of Trump win
- ‘Simply a disaster’: The results of Turkey’s historic election were surprising, and ominous
- Mayors could override Trump on the Paris climate accord — here’s how
- Here are all the celebrities who met with Trump after the election
- We spent 6 months after the election trying to find common ground in America — here’s what we learned
- Napolitano re-elected Italy's president
- Japan votes: Incumbent PM Abe appears headed to victory
- Analysis: Egypt vote muddies political outlook
The US election is a vote on climate change for the whole world have 300 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 2, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.