Boris Johnson is facing a major backbench rebellion over plans to reintroduce the tiered lockdown system, with 70 of his own MPs refusing to support them unless he proves they will work. The Prime Minister will set out tomorrow a return to the three-level system but with more areas potentially placed into the top Tier 3 than before the November lockdown, ahead of a planned relaxation at Christmas. Mr Johnson is also planning to relax the much-criticised 10pm pub curfew, easing restrictions to allow drinking holes to call last orders at 10pm and give punters an hour to drink up and finish meals. But Mr Johnson’s plans, which have to pass a Commons vote to become law, are facing strident opposition from a hardcore block of his own party, who argue that the restrictions cause more damage than they prevent. MPs in the Covid Recovery Group wrote to the Prime Minister last night demanding he give Parliament a full ‘cost-benefit analysis’ of the new system amid concerns over the ongoing effect on the economy and also people with existing long-term health problems. In the letter to the PM, the group led by former chief whip Mark Harper and High Wycombe… Read full this story
- Matt Hancock will reveal which tough new tier YOUR area falls in TOMORROW
- Boris Johnson's decision to impose tougher Covid tiers will cost Britain £900million a DAY, say experts as it emerges almost the entire nation is to be banned from socialising indoors until April
- Robert Jenrick hints some areas COULD be moved out of Tier 3 before Christmas as No 10 desperately tries to quell outrage in Tory heartlands over tough new restrictions - with Boris facing 'the biggest revolt of this Parliament'
- Civil servants have 'serious doubts' over Covid safety in Government as 10 Tory MPs join Boris Johnson in self-isolation after one tested positive
- UK coronavirus deaths drop by 45% in a week as 215 fatalities are recorded while cases fall by 34%
- Boris Johnson will unveil post-December 2 lockdown 'Tiers' TODAY with Christmas shopping saved and gyms able to reopen - but pubs and restaurants pay the price as ministers plead with Tory rebels to recognise there is a 'way through' the crisis
- New tiers revealed: London and Liverpool are slapped with Tier 2 coronavirus restrictions that let pubs stay open, while Manchester and Newcastle are put in stricter Tier 3
- Up to 70 Tory MPs could vote against Boris Johnson's Covid tiers
- Tories Slam ‘Authoritarianism' as PM Johnson Reportedly Faces Revolt Ahead of Vote on COVID Tiers
- Pub bosses’ fury as Boris Johnson plans Northern shutdown because Covid is ‘holding a gun to his head’
'Show us it's worth it': Boris Johnson faces new rebellion over tough new coronavirus tiers as SEVENTY Tory MPs say they will REFUSE to vote for them unless the PM proves they 'will save more lives than they cost' - as 10pm pub curfew faces the axe have 426 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 22, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.