NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Current and former elected leaders and luminaries are reacting to news of the passing of former New York City Mayor David N. Dinkins. Dinkins died Monday at the age of 93. He was New York City’s first — and to date only — Black mayor. More: David Dinkins, New York City’s Only Black Mayor, Dead At 93 At his Tuesday morning news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said he and his wife are “feeling a lot right now.” “He was animated by love for people, all people,” de Blasio said. “David Dinkins believed that we could be better, believed that we could overcome our divisions. He showed it what it was like to be a gentleman, to be a kind person no matter what was thrown at him — and a lot was thrown at him.” Watch Mayor De Blasio’s Tuesday Briefing: On Twitter, de Blasio wrote “Chirlane and I are mourning a truly great man. David Dinkins simply set this city on a better path. He was my mentor, he was my friend, and his steadfast commitment to fight for that ‘gorgeous mosaic’ inspires me every single day. We’ll keep up his fight.” Chirlane and I… Read full this story
- Presidents, politicians mourn passing of former President George H.W. Bush
- Watch: Meghan McCain Says Donald Trump 'Will Never Be a Great Man' and Leads a 'Pathetic Life'
- Les Temps Modernes: Paris mourns passing of the intellectual left’s bible
- A gallery of Voyager’s greatest hits—and they are truly great
- 5 Taliban local leaders killed in eastern Afghanistan
- 10 Great Brands, 10 Great Days, One Great Sale
- 'The cast and crew are saddened': Home and Away release official statement mourning the death of actor Ben Unwin
- Colts unveil Manning statue outside Lucas Oil Stadium
- Steve Smith and David Warner still dominate headlines, but Australian cricket's new leadership could be for the best
- Kenyan-born man handed prison term for killing US policeman
Local Leaders And Luminaries Mourn Passing Of David Dinkins, A ‘Truly Great Man’ have 333 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.