The European Commission on Thursday proposed to have all EU borders within the bloc reopen from June 15, with Brussels saying that the closures member states introduced to fight the coronavirus do little to curb its spread. The recommendation comes as many of the 27 EU member states begin to relax coronavirus restrictions, with some hoping to restart tourism in time for the Europe’s peak summer season. Tourism-dependent countries such as Greece and Portugal have been pushing for a reopening to help their economies recover from the impacts of the pandemic. The Commission called for a “common coordinated approach” where travel bans will be lifted for countries with similar levels of infection as the EU and where disease control is in place. Unveiling the plan, European home affairs commissioner Ylva Johansson told EU member countries that they “should open up as soon as possible, and the commission recommends to do it already on Monday.” According to Johansson, the virus situation “is really improving in all member states, the situation is converging.” The Swedish politician added that Europe’s Centre for Disease Prevention and Control had reported “that having internal border restrictions is not an effective measure.” Read more: COVID-19: Summer vacation away from the mainstream Balkan… Read full this story
- Brexit result: Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness calls for border poll on united Ireland
- Martin set to pull the ripcord and trigger emotional cast on June 15
- EU call for proposals to promote competitiveness in Turkish Cypriot community
- Press digest – June 15
- BMW 8 Series to be revealed on June 15 at Le Mans
- Brexit: EU negotiator calls for border agreement by June
- jIrish border June deadline 'artificial'
- Irish border June deadline 'artificial'
- Iran reopens border posts with Iraqi Kurdistan
- EU calls Abbas Holocaust remarks 'unacceptable'
EU calls for reopening of borders from June 15 and gradually resume tourism have 300 words, post on www.dw.com at November 6, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.