The United Kingdom is hoping to become one of the first countries in the world to offer nationwide testing as it buys 200 million 15-minute COVID-19 tests to be rolled out in January across the country.The plan is to buy more than 60 million rapid tests each month, reportedly reaching 192 million purchased by March. This would mean that nearly every resident could be tested once each month. This follows a trial taking place in Liverpool, north-west England, which is attempting to test everyone in the city and the surrounding region, made up of around 600,000 people.Plans are already in place, U.K. Health Secretary Matt Hancock has revealed, to roll out this testing to 70 local authorities including London, Birmingham, and Manchester, assuming all goes well in the Liverpool trial.This is part of the so-called “Operation Moonshot” and would allow lockdown to ease as people could carry around a certificate on their phone saying they were clear of COVID-19, allowing entrance to sporting events, bars or restaurants and a return to a more “normal” version of everyday life.Newsweek subscription offers >These tests allow a result in around 15 minutes and are a different method to the ones seen in the… Read full this story
- IQ Score - An Objective Measure of Intelligence Or Just a Usual Test?
- China's Mercantilism and New Global Economic Order
- Hong Kong profile - Timeline
- In Diana's footsteps: Kate Middleton wears the SAME traditional Pakistani hat as Prince William's mother as Royals retrace her 1991 visit to the Himalayan foothills on the second full day of their historic tour
- Our spectacular autumn TV special: Documentaries! Learn something new this season with these fabulous factual programmes
- China plus ASEAN plus FTA equals East Asian Unification? Not Quite Part II
- The Crown Prince! Duke and Duchess don traditional Pakistani headwear as they meet Himalayan villagers - as historic Royal tour retraces steps his mother Princess Diana took during her visit in 1991
- Who's who in the Syria-Turkey conflict?
- Malmesbury - Wiltshire, Beauty in Abundance
- UPDATE 7-Hong Kong leader offers no olive branch as jeers force her to abandon address
Britain Attempts to Test Whole Population for COVID have 342 words, post on www.newsweek.com at November 12, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.