Jonny Bairstow notched up a blistering unbeaten knock of 86 to guide England to a five-wicket triumph over South Africa in the opening Twenty20I of the three-match series at Newlands in Cape Town on Friday evening. Asked to bat first, South Africa lost Temba Bavuma cheaply for five runs. Skipper Quinton de Kock (30) and experienced batsman Faf du Plessis (58) then joined forces and stitched a crucial 77-run partnership for the opening wicket. After de Kock’s dismissal, Rassie van der Dussen came to bat alongside Du Plessis and contributed an unbeaten 28-ball 37 runs to his side’s innings. Subsequently, Heinrich Klaasen and George Linde scored 20 and 12 runs, respectively as South Africa posted a decent total of 179 for six in their stipulated 20 overs. For England, Sam Curran was the most economical bowler with figures of three for 28. Jofra Archer, Tom Curran and Chris Jordan all chipped in with a wicket each. In reply, the visiting side lost openers Jason Roy (0) and Jos Buttler (7) and Dawid Malan (19) cheaply. Bairstow then not only smashed a magnificent fifty but also stitched an 85-run stand with Ben Stokes (37) to help England cross the mark in… Read full this story
- How to watch England vs South Africa rugby live: stream the entire series online
- On this Day, July 18 1997: Liverpool signed England midfielder Paul Ince from Inter Milan
- Olympic medalist figure skater Denis Ten stabbed to death in Kazakhstan
- On this Day, July 3 1997: Celtic appointed former Holland international Wim Jansen as head coach
- When will you die? A new blood test may hold the answer.
- 'LazyTown' villain Stefan Karl Stefansson dies at 43
- 2018 in Pictures: Trump’s Visit, WWI Centenary, Free Tommy Rally
- On this day, September 4, 1972: Mark Spitz became the first competitor to claim seven gold medals at a single Olympic Games
- Nothing More Infuriating Than Foreign-Born TV Stars Lecturing Americans On Gun Ownership
- Chicks have last word
1st T20I: Jonny Bairstow's fireworks powers England to 5-wicket win over South Africa have 304 words, post on zeenews.india.com at November 28, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.