The US Treasury department has issued sanctions against five Iranian entities it claims are attempting to influence the upcoming 2020 elections. According to the department, components of the Iranian government have disguised themselves as news organisations or media outlets to spread disinformation and propaganda articles across the United States. “The Iranian regime uses false narratives and other misleading content to attempt to influence US elections,” said Secretary Steven Mnuchin. “This administration is committed to ensuring the integrity of the US election system and will continue to counter efforts from any foreign actor that threatens our electoral processes.”The identified entities are Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the IRGC-Qods Force (IRGC-QF), Bayan Rasaneh Gostar Institute (Bayan Gostar), Iranian Islamic Radio and Television Union (IRTVU), and International Union of Virtual Media (IUVM), which have been accused of directly or indirectly engaging in, sponsoring, concealing, or otherwise being complicit in foreign interference for this year’s presidential election. According to Treasury, Bayan Gostar, IRTVU, and IUVM executed a series of influenced operations directed at the populace. IUVM also posted conspiracy theories and disinformation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, various IRGC-QF outlets allegedly amplified false narratives and posted propaganda content, such as articles, cartoons, and memes… Read full this story
- Feds slap sanctions on son of Venezuela’s Nicolás Maduro
- US slaps sanctions on son of Venezuelan leader Maduro
- 2020 election: Hey Mitch, the Russians are coming. Again.
- Tanker full of Iranian oil intercepted en route to Syria
- Iran says 17 nationals allegedly recruited by CIA arrested
- Trump jokes to Putin: ‘Don’t meddle in the election’ (video)
- Trump jokes with Putin, says ‘don’t meddle in election, please’
- Elections: Experts warn Russian meddling could happen again
- Trump targets Iran’s leaders with new round of sanctions
- Seized Iranian Tanker Leaves Gibraltar Despite U.S. Pressure
US slaps sanctions on Iranian entities for allegedly interfering with 2020 US elections have 295 words, post on www.zdnet.com at October 23, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.