Boris Johnson (pictured) is set to ignore critics and impose Tier Three restrictions – the highest level of a new alert system – in Covid-hit areas of the north Boris Johnson is set to plunge 10million Northerners into even tougher lockdown restrictions next week, shutting pubs despite an outcry from local leaders and a gathering Tory mutiny. The PM has signed off a new ‘traffic light’ system of curbs for England after days of bitter wrangling between ministers and scientists, with a swathe of the country where infections have been surging facing the the harshest Tier Three level. The mechanism for classifying ‘red’ zones are expected are still unclear, but they are expected to cover Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle – three cities that have continued to see infection rises despite local lockdowns. Hospitality businesses are set to be shut under the new measures, but shops, offices and schools will stay open. Ministers are still mulling the fate of hairdressers and leisure facilities in the ‘red’ zones – but there will be special furlough-style compensation for workers and firms hammered by the curbs. However, there is speculation the PM could have to back down on the blanket 10pm pubs curfew -… Read full this story
- Nicola Sturgeon says she 'wanted to cry' over photos of revellers crammed into packed pubs - as 27 coronavirus cases are linked to ONE bar in Aberdeen
- Humiliated Nicola Sturgeon vows to 'tear up' grades for Scottish pupils after 'standardising' fiasco saw 125,000 results marked down - but Boris insists he will push ahead with the system for A-level students in England
- Nicola Sturgeon finally announces a return date for Scottish schools with classrooms to reopen on August 11 and all pupils expected to be back full time by August 18
- Aberdeen is put into lockdown: Nicola Sturgeon closes city's pubs and bans travel in and out as bar outbreak cases DOUBLE - just a day after Queen passed through on way to Balmoral
- 'Hands, face, space...knees and toes': Boris Johnson unveils new government coronavirus slogan but is accused of making it up as it is compared to a children's song
- Now Aberdeen football player tests positive for Covid-19 after city was put into lockdown as Nicola Sturgeon admits Scotland's R rate has gone UP to as high as one and warns infection numbers are expected to keep rising
- Mirror calls on Boris Johnson to put safety first as workers told 'get back to work'
- Nicola Sturgeon warns Boris Johnson he must 'abide by all the advice' on Scotland's lockdown as he prepares to take Carrie and baby Wilfred north on their first family holiday - which may see them CAMPING
- Rishi Sunak goes into battle for the union as he tells Nicola Sturgeon UK government support has been crucial for Scotland's response to coronavirus
- Nicola Sturgeon could ban PUB CRAWLS in Scotland after Aberdeen coronavirus outbreak linked to bars in the Granite City
Boris Johnson WILL plunge 10 million northerners into tough 'Tier Three' lockdown on Monday with pubs and restaurants CLOSED - after Nicola Sturgeon announced two-week restriction in Scotland have 473 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 7, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.